Good News Update

Hello Friends!

Wow! It has been awhile since I’ve posted. Quite a bit has been going on as well. First of all, I was pretty depressed and anxious about my power being out.  It was out from Friday November 2 until Wednesday the 7th.  I was sleeping here at home at night and it was cold. I slept in the family room on the big chair bundled in layers of clothes and two blankets, plus the dogs kept me warm.  During the day, I spent time at my friends house. She had given me a key to her home and let me spend time there so I could use her WiFi and try to get things done.  God bless her! School was getting difficult to focus on. I was trying hard to find ways to pay to get my power restored.  I did get a few donations to the GoFundMe I had set up so that was a huge help.  By that Wednesday, I had had enough of being without power and water and had no luck in finding any assistance so I called Consumers Energy back and just said I need my power back. Can you take the $55 and put me on that payment plan you offered?  This time I talked to a really nice woman. She said she would take the money and put my account on hold for 9 days and gave me the name of another place to try for assistance. So my power was turned back on! Hallelujah!! I did lose all the food in my refrigerators/freezer though.  I had just went shopping too. So that was a bummer.  I tried calling the place the woman at Consumers recommended but they just referred me back to DHS. It was a nightmare.  So when Consumers called me back we just put me on the plan which is $193 a month.  It’s pretty steep I know and I’m a little nervous because it’s not the only monthly bill I need to worry about.

On the night I lost power, I applied to be a Shipt Shopper (someone who grocery shops and delivers groceries). I did the first part of the application process that night. The second part, I did on Saturday morning in the parking lot of a McDonalds restaurant. I had to do video responses to their questions.  I was so incredibly delighted to wake up on November 9th to a text that said:

“Congrats, Dorothy! You’re an approved Shipt Shopper. Your shopper gear will arrive in a few days! Check your email for more information!!”

My friends, I will tell you that I literally cried with excitement when I read that text! I stood up and danced and praised the Lord right then and there. I am not even kidding! Finally, I would be getting some income.  There were some more things I had to do in the process. I had to go through some online orientations, alcohol training in order to be able to deliver alcohol and I had to go to an in person orientation training as well.  I’ve done all those.  I downloaded the app to my phone and took a picture of myself in the Shipt sweatshirt I got.  I’ll put that below.  The only thing left was to get insurance on my car because they needed proof of insurance and to be honest, mine had lapsed due to non-payment.  Here’s where my anxiety crept up again because I had no idea how I was going to pull this off as I didn’t have a lot of money in the bank.  I stopped by State Farm Insurance. That’s where I had insurance before and they quoted me over $700 to get started back up due to it being so long since I had insurance. That wasn’t going to work! So I came home and looked online and checked Progressive. I was able to get started online through them with $149. That worked for what I had! I was so grateful! So now I’m insured and provided that to Shipt. So as far as I know, I’m good to go. I just want to read through their online help again.  I will admit that I’m a bit nervous to do my first shops.  There are two reasons…. 1) Winter/Snow, my car sitting low to the ground and me not being very sure footed. I hope people keep their driveways, walks and steps clear and 2) Thanksgiving…it’s going to be busy I’ll bet.  Pray for me!  Other than that I’m excited!  Here’s me in my gear!  Here’s a link you should consider Shipt if it’s in your area!  Check Shipt out!

ShiptSelfie

On the 7th, I also had my therapy appointment and my med management appointment with my Psychiatrist.  I had been struggling with focusing on school and had been in contact with my professor and had let him know the situation. He had suggested the possibility of taking a break and suggested I check with my academic advisor.  So I emailed her and filled her in on the situation.  I also talked with my therapist about it as well.  I had a very emotional day on that day because I broke down in tears at therapy and then again at my med management appointment. And, my blood pressure was up at my med management appointment as well.  I hadn’t had issues with anxiety in a long time but due to the issues with my power being off and struggling with money and bills for so long, it was coming to a head.  My academic advisor, therapist and Psychiatrist all agreed that it was probably for the best that I take a break from school and focus on the other issues in my life.  My Psych also said that he could prescribe a med for me to take just as needed for anxiety.  Because my rosacea had also started to flare up a bit and that was bothersome. He said the med would help with that as well.  He prescribed Vistaril.  I’ve only taken one so far since he prescribed them.

On November 12, I took a beginner knitting class offered through North Kent Connect. It was free to me and upon completion I get a $20 card to use in their thrift store. I get to pick up the card on Monday the 19th.  The class taught us how to cast on and do a wash cloth. Well, it was only a two hour class and I was a bit frustrated trying to get those needles to work for me.  Needless to say, I didn’t get much done at all.  I got to take everything home with me and hopefully I can figure out how to finish the thing.  I do have directions. And YouTube has everything.  Here’s what I got done so far:

Knitting

I hope you’re not laughing too hard!  I got a little more than that done now, but I really struggled with it.  The needles they gave were called circle needles I guess and they’re made of wood.  I really want to finish it and be proud of my accomplishment.  It’s already been several days since I’ve touched it so I’m afraid I’ll be confused and not have a clue what I’m doing again.

As far as my activity goes, I’m trying.  The weather is getting colder and the snow has been flying on occasion.  The other day, Oaklee and I went on a two mile walk on the White Pine trail.  It was freezing cold but I was proud that I got out and did it.  The first mile was pretty easy, but the mile back, I started to feel the pain in my upper thighs.  Here’s a pic of each of us. This was at the end of the walk by the Rockford dam.

After our walk, I decided to take Oaklee to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) to give her a bath at their self wash station. It was easier there than doing it at home.  It’s $10 and after 10 washes, you get a free one.  I already had one wash because of giving Kaya one the other day.  She didn’t care for getting a bath but I hope to do it more often.  Now I just need to get my Xena in there sometime.  Here’s a picture of Oaklee looking pitiful but cute in the tub:

OakleeBathNov2018

I’ve been doing so much cleaning around the house the last few days.  I got my huge refrigerator ready to sell and it’s now posted on the Facebook Marketplace.  I think I’m going to post it on Craigslist as well.  It’s a very large commercial size side by side.   It’s a Sub-Zero brand and I’m trying to sell it for $950 but hope to go no lower than $800.  I’m just hoping it sells because right now it’s just sitting in another part of my kitchen.

I’m struggling with the colder weather and not being able to get out as much. I know you can still walk and hike during this time of year but I don’t have a winter coat yet.  A woman from church did give me $30 in gift cards for Mel Trotter Ministry thrift store so I want to go there and see if they have anything.  I do want to stay active as much as I can.  And being outside is what I like most to be honest.  I already miss the lakeshore so much!  Maybe the weather will be cooperative and I can drive out there tomorrow after church?  Hmmm.

My GoFundMe is still active as is my PayPal.  My PayPal is over in the side bar.  I only say this because I am still so far behind.  But I know this is a tough time of year for everyone because Christmas is right around the corner and Thanksgiving is this coming Thursday! Unbelievable!

I could keep going but I think I’ll save some writing for tomorrow.

I wish you all well.  Wherever you are in this world, I wish you peace, love and happiness.

❤ DottieMay

About DorothyMarie

I'm 47 years old, divorced with two adult daughters. My youngest lives with me. Between the two of us, we have four dogs. I own one Pitbull Terrier named Oaklee, a German Shepherd named Xena and a Pomeranian named Teddy Bear. My daughter owns Oaklee's sister named Aspen. I started school in January of 2018 and am studying Psychology. I have a long road ahead of me but am excited about it.
This entry was posted in Anxiety/Depression, life, School, Wellness and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Good News Update

1. Dr. Perry says:

Hi Dottie, it’s so nice to see you. I have been wondering where you have been. I wanted to ask your permission to do a small write up about you and post it on my blog. I’m hoping this will generate some traffic to your blog and others can get to me you as well. Please let me know. Kindly, Dr. Perry

Liked by 3 people

• DorothyMarie says:

Dr. Perry, I would be honored to have you write about me! I am in shock to be quite honest. And practically in tears. It means so much that you would want to do that for me. Yes, you have my permission. I’m sure you’ll be kind. 🙂 Thank you SO much! What a great end to my day!

Liked by 3 people

2. Dr. Perry says:

Thank you Dottie. It really is my pleasure. I feel if others get to know you they will want to follow and support your journey. I will write up something brief and put a link to your blog tonight.

Liked by 2 people

3. theresaly520 says:

Hello Dottie! Got connected with you through Dr. Perry here! 🙂 Sounds like you had quite an adventure with the energy bill fiasco! I can totally relate to being on the phone with nice phone representatives only to be confused with a different bill.

Goodness! I was in your shoes three years ago when I too was applying for a job using the McDonalds wi-fi service. You’re knitting too! Let me tell you….I first started learning how to knit from my childhood friend when I was 8 years old. It turned into the most oddest shaped sky blue scarf. My stitches looked ugly and my yarn was unraveling, yet I felt proud that I could learn this skill. I really hope you keep up with it, because it’s a wonderful hobby. 🙂 I knit during my travels, waiting for the doctor, whenever something stressful happens, whenever I want to calm down, when it’s raining… Made a lot of beautiful gifts for others. Maybe I should share it on my blog…

Anyway, it’s nice to meet you Dottie! Hope you get to enjoy beautiful moments throughout this hectic week of yours. Peace. ❤

Liked by 3 people

• DorothyMarie says:

Thank you for coming by. I really appreciate it. Isn’t Dr. Perry awesome?! I’m going to try hard to keep up with the knitting. I have made a hat before with knitting looms as well. It may be more of a winter and rainy day activity.

Liked by 2 people

• theresaly520 says:

Yes, he is. 🙂 I’m not sure how he found me when I first started writing on this blog, but I appreciate his support. He wrote many inspiring articles that I found helpful.

That’s really neat about the hats. Do you find it easier than knitting? I have a few looms as well. I feel like it’s faster. Guess you like to do a lot of other stuff on non-rainy days!

Liked by 2 people

• DorothyMarie says:

You know it’s been awhile since I’ve done a hat so I may be a little confused with them too. I should blog about that maybe. I have so much stuff because I got so excited about it. Yes on non rainy days if its nice out, I like to go outside for a hike or walk or be by the lakeshore. It’s my happy place 😊

Liked by 1 person

• theresaly520 says:

Totally understand that feeling! I have so many interests, I wonder where to begin! I’m guessing you have a lot of stories about the stuff you’re excited about. Sounds like a nice hike.☺ My parents live on a street called Lake shore! It’s really close to a lake where we go feed ducks.

Liked by 1 person

4. 4neonfun says:

Hello Dottie, I have also came here from Dr. Perry’s shout-out and your post is very refreshing! I really liked reading your post and they really are right when they say that every day there is the opportunity to bless others in a positive way. ☕Cheers! ~4NeonFun

Liked by 2 people

5. Knit&Smile says:

Hi Dottie. I am also here through Dr Perry’s blog post. I am a university professor who knits and blogs about it. I learned knitting as a child, but recently took it seriously to deal with loneliness, anxiety, and boredom. Good luck with everything and nice to meet you.

Liked by 1 person

• DorothyMarie says:

Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello! I’m going to have to follow your blog to learn some more about knitting because at this point it’s a little frustrating. Isn’t loneliness hard!? It’s a struggle for me as well even though I have dogs.

• Knit&Smile says:

Hi Dorothy. Thanks for following my blog. I always find the company of my furry friends comforting, but at the moment, I am living away from my loved ones, including my ginger tabby Don Leo. Learning new things and knitting helps a bit though, Oh and writing about it 😉

Liked by 1 person

6. Hello dear Dottie! I am sending you warm energy from Goa, India
    Priscilla

Liked by 2 people

7. angela1313 says:

Dottie I just spent several days without power due to the ice storm here and you have my sympathy. I tree fell on my truck and house but thankfully not too much damage. I am glad Progressive helped you find affordable insurance, they helped my friend the same way. Dr Perry sent me too and I clicked the follow this blog straight away after I read your post. You are an inspiration for anyone.

Liked by 1 person

• DorothyMarie says:

First thank you for coming by and saying hi and leaving a comment and compliment! I truly appreciate it. I’m so sorry about your truck and house! Mother Nature is nothing to mess with. I’m glad you’re alive and well to talk about it. Being without power does suck and I’m sorry you had to be without as well. I’m gonna come visit your blog as well. Thanks for the follow!!

8. Hi Dottie. Dr. Perry over at makeitultra shared the link to your blog. WOW life sure is handing you a lot of challenges, but it looks like you’re handling them face-on so kudos to you. I am sending you positive energy and lots of prayers for a smoother road ahead. congrats on the job – you have a friendly face and it seems like it will all go well. May God bless you and bring you everything you need. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

Liked by 1 person

9. Create Space says:

Dottie, hello from Ireland! I hope things turn around for you now because you are certainly trying your best! Your determination and positivity is inspiring. Marie xx

Liked by 1 person

10. I have found you through Dr. Perry’s site. You are an inspiration. I am so happy to read your power was restored, I know how tough it can be. Many warm hugs!

Liked by 2 people

• DorothyMarie says:

Thank you SO much for stopping by Lisa. I really appreciate your kind words and hugs. Yes I am so glad my power was restored. It was a tough week I will say. God bless you and God bless Dr. Perry for his wonderful introduction post.